DELISH! This is a staple at my house for breakfast, lunch, or dinner. I make it at least once a week, no joke. The variety is endless and it is relatively good for you, especially if you are on a protein kick.
You don’t have to make your eggs runny, but I would absolutely recommend it, and I don’t even like my eggs over easy! There is just something about that runny yoke that makes the sandwich creamier and meltier (yes, I realize that meltier isn’t a real word, but come on, shouldn’t it be? I mean, I don’t know how else to describe ooey and gooey and straight up awesome) and it just melds everything together nicely.
Cook Time: 10-15 minutes
Serving Size: as many as you wanna make but below is how you make 1.
2 slices of whole grain bread
1 slice cheddar cheese
1 tsp. olive oil
2 slices turkey bacon, cooked
jam, peanut butter, mayo… just your favorite condiment
Top one slice of bread with cheese and toast both slices. In a small, non-stick skillet, cook the egg in a touch of olive oil over medium heat, being careful not to break the yolk.
Don’t panic if you do… it’s no big deal. Top the cheesed slice of toasted bread with cooked egg and cooked bacon. Spread your favorite condiment on the other slice. Doing it this way makes everything stick together better. Put together like a sandwich. Yum!
- I used Ezekiel bread but anything will do. No, I’m not on a health kick. It was just on sale at Kroger for $1.50 so I decided to try it. It is actually really good. It’s a little spongier than the bread I’m used to. You can try this sandwich using a bagel, English muffin, or wrap it all up in a tortilla.
- Use any meat you want. Deli style lunch meat works great, especially ham and turkey.
- Change up your cheese choice. I love making this sandwich with ham and swiss or turkey and provolone. Just choose whatever you have in the fridge.
- Seriously, don’t let me lose you here. Just TRY putting peanut butter on you sandwich if you use bacon as your meat. It is AMAZING and melts beautifully. Ugh… my mouth is watering as I type! Try it and let me know how much you like it. This won’t be a regret.
- My husband likes to use mayo when I make it for lunch or dinner. You can also add a slice of tomato.
- Check out this yummy looking sandwich. She used pesto as her condiment: Breakfast Sandwich with Pesto
- If you wanted to put it all together and grill it like a grilled cheese, that works, too. And it is AMAZING done that way… the only kicker is that buttering the toast on both sides makes it a real artery clogger. And if it’s decent without it…then why even go there?