This is a recipe that is super quick… I took A LOT of help from the store on this one. Mondays are just so busy in my house. Getting back into the swing of things is tough when you’ve been go, go, go all weekend. All I ever want to do is kick off my shoes and sit the heck down. Spending a TON of time in the kitchen is sometimes not an option so ideas like this one are great to have handy. I say “ideas” because the recipe is fairly arbitrary. Just throw in whatever you have on hand and it’s gonna taste good.
This recipe calls for store-bought pesto. The kind that comes in a little jar and stays in the fridge after you open it is my favorite. This little jar is a miracle worker on a busy night. You can use it a million different ways. Here are a few of my favorites:
– Spread pesto instead of pizza sauce on a quick pizza
– Spread pesto on a tortilla with leftover chicken or lunch meat and other toppings for a quick wrap
– Roll out crescent roll triangles, top each with a little pesto, a tomato slice (seeded), and a little mozzarella cheese. Bake for about 8-10 minutes for a super quick appetizer or light lunch.
Chicken, Pesto, and Peas Pasta
Time: 15 minutes
1 c. spaghetti noodles
1/3 c. frozen peas
2 – 3 tbsp. pesto
1/4 – 1/3 c. chicken, cooked and cubed
1/8 c. Italian style cheese blend (or use parmesan or mozzarella)
Boil noodles according to packaged directions. In the last two minutes of boiling, add peas.
Continue boiling until done. Drain pasta and peas, reserving 2 tbsp. of the cooking liquid. Stir in pesto and chicken. Add reserved cooking liquid if needed. Top with cheese and serve warm or cold. Yum!
– Leftovers are great so double the recipe and take some to work the next day!
– sun-dried tomatoes are a delicious addition.
– Use the same pot for boiling and mixing for less dishes.
– Use whole wheat pasta for added nutrients.